won't start on linux (with hack solution)

Bug reports go here

won't start on linux (with hack solution)

Postby norwood » Mon May 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Trying to run the steam version of the game, all I get is a blank black window with a narrow white rectangle at the top. Some searching around suggested there was a problem with newer freetype library breaking the electron framework.

My solution was that I installed latest electron framework (from distro repository --- in my case with Arch linux) and ran it. It opened a window telling me to drag and drop my app onto it... so i started dropping files from Curious Expedition onto it (I don't know what I'm doing... so this was an adventure). I finally found when I dropped the file SteamApps/common/The Curious Expedition/resources/app.asar onto the electron runner app Curious Expedition started up fine. Seems to be working well, half way into my first game.
norwood

Re: won't start on linux (with hack solution)

Postby riadd » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Glad to hear that you found a work-around and thanks for the follow-up! I'll try to fix the problem so that no hacky solution is necessary :)
riadd
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby salexan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

Hello,

I just bought the game (on GOG). Unfortunately it produces only a blank screen on linux as described by other users here and elsewhere (https://steamcommunity.com/app/358130/d ... 418662005/).

The proposed workaround (running the system-electron and drag-dropping the app) makes it start up at least, but the menu-texts seem to be completely broken (see attached screenshot).

The platform is: x64 Arch Linux, Kernel 4.13.3

It looks like there are several problems with version mismatches between electron and some of its dependencies...

Will there be any solution / bugfix for this soon or do I have to return the game?
(The bug is basically known since Oct 2016 and I have only seen some hacky workarounds so far...)
Attachments
screenshot_bug_curiousexpedition.png
Screenshot showing broken menu text
screenshot_bug_curiousexpedition.png (205.4 KiB) Viewed 57 times
salexan

Postby salexan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 am

After some trying around, I also found a solution that works for me:
cd to game/x64 and running "electron resources/app.asar" from that directory makes the correct texts appear

The solution probably boils down to replacing some relative path names (language files?) in the code with different ones containing the application root folder.
salexan

Postby riadd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for the follow-up! We'll look into it.
riadd
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby Ole » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Having looked into it, the original reason for the game not starting under Arch seems to be that the version of electron that we package with the game can't find its dependencies on newer versions of Arch.

The workaround will be included as extra information in an additional readme in the future.

The issues with text rendering stem from the translation files not being found. This will probably not be an issue anymore with an update in the not so far future.

Thank you for delving in so deep, we are basically just adapting the workaround you found.
Ole
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby salexan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That's probably a good solution for most Linux users.

The game is really fun by the way!
salexan

Return to Bugs