Getting the hang of things

Introduce yourself here. Tell us who you are!

Getting the hang of things

Postby squidfeatures » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:00 am

Hello all!

My name is Guy, and I live in the U.S.

I don't remember when I first heard about The Curious Expedition, but I've had it on my Steam wishlist fora while now and just picked it up on Steam last weekend. I have been loving it ever since. I normally don't do forum stuff for games but something happened in my most recent game that I just had to share.

I was on Expedition 5 as Isabella Bird, and I ended up having a decent hunting group. I had traded with a shaman at some point and ended up with a scroll of create lake. It was taking up valuable room in my inventory, and since I had never used one before instead of discarding it I used it on some area of terrain that seemed boring.

Several weeks of exploring later I found the sunken pyramid that pointed me to two beacons, only one of which was obviously accessible. After activating the accessible beacon I headed for the second only to find out that the lake I had made was blocking the only path to the beacon. In fact it was blocking the path by only a single tile!

Having exhausted all mundane solutions to the problem (exploration confirmed normal passage impossible, and I possessed no dynamite) I returned to the shaman's hut and found that he had one scroll of teleportation. Using it to get to the second beacon It was almost certainly a one way trip, but if I was going to have to balloon out anyway, I might as well do it from the other side of the mountain. I teleported, activated the second beacon while fighting of beasts and then explored everywhere looking for some slight hope. Cave tunnels weren't an option, since I had already explored all the caves on the other side of the lake. My only hope was to find a trader or remains of a previous expedition to get some dynamite or another way to alter the landscape.

I wish I could say I found something, but alas all I found were mushrooms, a mummy and some coca leaves.

To top it all off, as I was dismissing team members to make more room in the balloon for loot, I got greedy and forgot that you need at least two people to set up the balloon. Oops. Poor Isabella died alone, trapped apart from civilization.

A thrilling game, ending quite unceremoniously.

Thanks for making this game, and I look forward to see how it will continue to evolve over time.
squidfeatures

Return to Introductions