Autosaves in case of game or OS crash

Add your ideas for features, characters, items, events, enemies here..

Autosaves in case of game or OS crash

Postby SuppaTenko » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi! Ingame autosaves will be really awesome!
Look at this awesome trek! It was my 5th expedition. Both companions had Pure mind perk. And Trader had Claws. Both buffalos are fully improved and there is also Luis for one extra attack/support dice! Three different guns, necronomicon for extra tomoe pages and more than enough food to survive. Soldier's Combat Spirit and all three extra dice for Darwin. It was instant-win party.
And it was destroyed on 6th expedition. My videocard driver crashed and gave me BSOD. It was one of the best game sessions I ever had. I was't able to reload game after rebooting my PC. I'll tell you even more: it was the first time I had enough luck to finish Normal mode with Darwin since 1.00 release. All previous sessions were awful somehow. So I realy hoped to finish the game with very big score for the first time since release. Pity, isn't it?

So I suggest to add autosaves that can be loaded after BSOD/crash/rage-quit or something like that. Because no one knows what can happen while you play the game.

I also wanted to mention one thing. Animal dice. New brown dice are cool. Old red dice are not so cool. Do you have any plans to repaint it? Thouse Gorila/Hyena dice scratch my eyes. Not a top priority thing to do, but it will certainly improve game experience.
And what about new regions by the way? Are you going to add polar lands in future updates?
Attachments
Clipboarder.2016.10.14.jpg
Clipboarder.2016.10.14.jpg (185.89 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
SuppaTenko

Re: Autosaves in case of game or OS crash

Postby UltimateChaos » Mon May 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Personally I don't like the autosave option. I mean, I love it in case of crashes and such, but not just for normal play. Definitely not on hard at any rate.
UltimateChaos

Postby Groli » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Autosaves are essential in order to not lose a game to a failing battery or crash.
But they shouldn't be usable for savescumming: the autosave should be overwritten every time there's a major event (being attacked, end of combat, character dying, shrine curse unleashed...)
Groli

Postby UltimateChaos » Fri May 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Yeah, what you said. It's important to have for normal play. As of [1.2.5.0] quitting or dying doesn't even remove the autosave. I agree though, in addition to quitting or dying removing the autosave most major events should do the same (or even at the end of every leg of the journey, if it isn't too much trouble).
UltimateChaos

Postby Groli » Sat May 27, 2017 12:50 pm

I've stopped playing the game a little bit because I've lost too many games to Save bugs.
Quitting or dying should absolutely not delete the autosave: it should overwrite it.
Groli

Postby UltimateChaos » Mon May 29, 2017 2:34 am

Groli wrote:I've stopped playing the game a little bit because I've lost too many games to Save bugs.
Quitting or dying should absolutely not delete the autosave: it should overwrite it.

I *think* I see what the miscommunication is. By quitting or dying are you saying that you think the autosave should update if the game... quits/crashes or if a party member dies?

I meant that when my whole party dies or I quit due to screwing up that I still have an auto save from 5 minutes ago that I can go back to and fix things (which feels like cheating so I don't do it, but the option is there.)

I agree with you though if you're saying that when a party member dies or if the game closes (and a player isn't specifically giving up and starting a new run) that the autosave should update.
UltimateChaos

Postby Groli » Mon May 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Yes, I've been talking about overwriting/updating autosaves regularly.

I reacted to your request of "removing the autosave", because I don't think that the save should ever be deleted if there isn't an updated version to replace it. That would increase the risk of losing saves.

On the other hand, the game should attempt to update the autosave when the game is closed abruptly, so that you can't go back on your actions by ragequitting.
Groli

Return to Suggestions