Tome pages should cost sanity

Add your ideas for features, characters, items, events, enemies here..

Tome pages should cost sanity

Postby Dr. Jones » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:30 pm

The other day I was playing a boardgame called "Arkham Horror", which is a game based on the literary universe created by Lovecraft. In that game, the spells are something strange and mystic, and something that the common people should not play with. So, when a player casts a spells, it reduces the sanity of the character, leaving him to madness.

In the universe of The Curious Expedition the tone is similar when we are talking to sanity, so it makes sense that in the game the tome pages are something that should cost sanity. Also, this would make of them an item much more strategic, because for now their use is a bit unbrained: you need a waterfall to rest, or to teleport somewhere, or walking without sanity to some point, so you make use of one of your tome pages. Because of that, making them cost 20 or 30 sanity and producing an event immediately would cause players to scratch their heads. To play with dark magic or not to play? That't the dilemma.

If you think that the game would be much more difficult, just add this option to medium and high difficulties, or change the cost of sanity for each difficulty.

Take in mind that this change in the gameplay could lead to another interesting changes, like adding a companion or a explorer's perk that reduces the sanity consumption when using tome pages.

Well, that's my idea. What do you think?
Dr. Jones

Re: Tome pages should cost sanity

Postby charleswatkins » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 pm

As I see it, Sanity in CE is a little different than in Lovecraft. Here it's more like a will to persevere in the face of the unknown, eventually tipping into madness. In HPL it's more horror shock.

In any case, the player already pays a cost in Sanity to acquire the tome pages, which also serves to limit exploitation. However, I must confess I have often abused this feature beyond decency. (20 cans of beans = 20 shots at a scroll) If you also put a sanity penalty on use of the tome page, you are discouraging their use. And you lose some of the fun of the game.

Note that the tome pages can be bought and sold, so unless there are copies of the Necronomicon in every bookshop, then there is something of a commodity trade going on. It they were driving everyone insane, there would not be a good market.
charleswatkins

Re: Tome pages should cost sanity

Postby Dr. Jones » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Right now, you only have to spend sanity for tome pages if you are using the Necronomicon, that as already other user said (http://forums.maschinen-mensch.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=566&p=1918&hilit=necronomicon#p1918), it is a bit OP. I think, as him, that the Necronomicon should have a chance of burning depending on how many tomes pages have been riped from it.

Anyway, it is very difficult to have the Necronomicon if you aren't playing with Lovecraft, so the most of times you would obatin the tome pages in a shaman's hut. Moreover, the tome pages are the best item avaliable to buy in the hut because:

1- They are not very expensive.
2- They are weightless.
3- They are a ace in the sleeve, at some point they are always useful.

So, in most of the playthroughs you will have tons of tome pages waiting for being used. Because of that I don't think that putting a sanity payment for using a tome page would serve to discourage their use, but I believe that it would serve to make the player reflect on which tome page use and how to make the most of it.

In this way, if the player is going to use one of the tome pages it would be necessary that the player has a minimum of sanity (20 or 30 points), so the player has to think his movements much more. It is a measure to make the player think before acting. Given that, I think that it would enrich the gameplay.
Dr. Jones

Return to Suggestions