Post spelling error / suggestions here

Bug reports go here

Re: Post spelling error / suggestions here

Postby riadd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:47 am

allister wrote:The geyser was spelled "geysir" on my map, I believe.

I think Geysir is the correct spelling!?
riadd
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby riadd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks for all the updates! I think I fixed them all for Alpha 19. I also went through all the pronouns and tried to fix them according to gender. Its quite easy to overlook them in our text, so if you still see wrong grammar please let us know.
riadd
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby Dr. Jones » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:24 am

In the description of the new explorer H. P. Lovecraft:

"Very sensitive english author with an affinity for unspeakable horrors." It should be English.

In the description of the Lovecraft's perk, cosmic indifference:

"Improves usage of the necronomicon at the cost of lower max sanity. " It should be Necronomicon.

In the description of the new item Pumpkin Lantern:

"A peculiar latern made from a hollowed pumpkin. There is no rational explanation for it's strong lightsource, but it seems to never deplete." It think it should be lantern and its.
Dr. Jones

Postby riadd » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:In the description of the new explorer H. P. Lovecraft:

"Very sensitive english author with an affinity for unspeakable horrors." It should be English.

In the description of the Lovecraft's perk, cosmic indifference:

"Improves usage of the necronomicon at the cost of lower max sanity. " It should be Necronomicon.

In the description of the new item Pumpkin Lantern:

"A peculiar latern made from a hollowed pumpkin. There is no rational explanation for it's strong lightsource, but it seems to never deplete." It think it should be lantern and its.

Fixed those. Thanks!
riadd
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby Flors » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:43 pm

As a creative writing exercise I've copied down all the text from one expedition, as well as the final expedition map. I plan to put together a proper daily journal for my explorer. Through doing this I've discovered a few mistakes.

A potential first journal line when first starting the game:
"Early that morning I hurried to the harbor."
You have used the American English spelling for harbor. The British English spelling is harbour. I'm not sure if this one really counts, as the explorers come from many different countries, but seeing as they are based in London I thought I'd mention it.

Another one from the start of the game:
"A missionary approached me this morning. He had come to these lands and requested to take him to a nearby native village in order to spread the word of god."
This is said when we are in the harbour, so he hasn't come to any lands yet. As a replacement I suggest:
"A missionary approached me this morning. He asked to travel with us to the lands we are to explore, and requested that when we arrive we take him to a nearby native village in order to spread the word of god."

Upon reaching a native village:
"As we arrived, the village was buzzing with activity. No one really paid attention to us. We were able to just walk inside as there would have been nothing unusual about our arrival."
Unusual tense. I suggest replacing "would have been" with "was".

Upon recruiting in a village:
"We asked around to find out if some villagers were willing to join our trek. Quickly we had assembled some volunteers around us and had to decide for a new recruit."
A couple of things here -
"Quickly we had assembled some volunteers,,," makes sense but is a bit of a clunky sentence. "We quickly assembled some volunteers..." would sound better.
Secondly, "decide for a new recruit" should be "decide on a new recruit."

At a waterfall:
"As we prepared to for departure I knew we would miss the rumbling of the falling water.
Remove "to".
I suggest changing to 'I knew that we would'; the current text reads just as well, but it is less formal.

At a waterfall:
"We settled down and told the people to rest."
Should be changed to either:
I settled down and told the people to rest.
or
We settled down and I told the people to rest.

At a waterfall:
"That night something felt wrong as we sat by the fire.
This night Pvt Robert Fly had a conversation with someone who was clearly not there."
Inconsistent tense - That night vs. This night.
I suggest using "That night" in both instances.

At the end of the expedition:
"After all this hardship, euphoria overcame me. I knew that my name Ada Lovelace would not be forgotten."
This should have commas around the explorer's name:
"I knew that my name, Ada Lovelace, would not be forgotten."
Flors

Postby toolness » Sun May 22, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for making this great game!

Here are a few spelling/grammar mistakes I've noticed.

We had found a sacred altar room. A very old platform stood in it's center.

The it's should be its. More details on why are here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at ... t's-vs-its

Another is on the blurb for Marie Curie:

Conducted pioneering research on radioactivity and 1st women to win a Nobel prize.

Here women should be woman (the former is plural, the latter is singular).

Also, while I don't have any really definitive evidence to show you, a web search for "1st vs first" will reveal that the general consensus is to use "first" instead of "1st" in most cases. It isn't incorrect to use "1st", but to some people it looks odd, unless in a context where there are other ordinals being described (e.g. "2nd", "3rd"), which in this case there aren't.
toolness

Postby toolness » Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 pm

Hello again!

I also noticed that there is a point in the game where it mentions the phrase "a good nights rest". I believe this should be written "a good night's rest", as the rest "belongs" to the night (hence the use of the possessive).
toolness

Postby charleswatkins » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Gender references are usually masculine, even when describing female characters. It may not be possible to incorporate a gender switch for narrative text, so it may be better to rewrite passages to avoid his/her.
charleswatkins

Postby PerrySimm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 pm

The "It's an old campsite!" textbox in the tutorial says "clicking the the 'Explore' button". Screenshot attached.
Attachments
curioustypo.jpg
curioustypo.jpg (155.6 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
PerrySimm

Postby UltimateChaos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 pm

charleswatkins wrote:Gender references are usually masculine, even when describing female characters. It may not be possible to incorporate a gender switch for narrative text, so it may be better to rewrite passages to avoid his/her.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Made for some pretty funny passages, but may not be an easy thing to fix.
UltimateChaos

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs