Game lags on last level at somepoint: blame volcanoes ?

Bug reports go here

Game lags on last level at somepoint: blame volcanoes ?

Postby alban » Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am

Severity
Medium: on low end graphic cards, the game's graphic loop slows down to the point the game becomes unplayable

What happened

By the time I first reached the 6th map on easy mode, I had experienced slow graphics and a few flickering - when tiles are revealed, mainly. With Electron and an Intel card on motherboard, I was not surprised as OpenGL is disabled due to Linux driver troubles.
But the game was playable...

Then I reached 6th level. At some point, the screen started flickering with a bizarre pattern (7-8 short black flash), mouse input was responding with a 15 seconds delay, and there was my gaming experience gone.
Tried stop-start-continue game. Same. Abandoned the first game and played a new one.

Then It happened again: first levels are OK, but not the last one.
Then I noticed the "volcano" effect, and I think it's the culprit.
I'm on the prehistorical map, with many volcanoes.
The thing seems to occur when volcanoes erupt.
By blending the graphic "explosions" effect on other tiles, I guess adding a transparency, the graphic card is blocking trying to recalculate every tile.

What is expected

The game should be playable identically for a given graphic card on any level.

What happens

Occasionaly, some levels / animations are taking a tool on the graphic card and make it unplayable.

Solution
As a player, I would like a tick box option in settings, allowing me to disable such effects.

Version / Platform

v1_3_8_8_20149 (downloaded today)
Linux / Electron
alban

Re: Game lags on last level at somepoint: blame volcanoes ?

Postby alban » Sun May 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Quick update. Volcanoes are apparently not the root of the problem.

While continuing the 6th level, it ended up being playable again.

Odd, but there's something here and I don't understand what.
alban

Re: Game lags on last level at somepoint: blame volcanoes ?

Postby Isaac_mm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for the report. Performance is the main focus for the next update, and I'd love to hear from you about how the changes are impacting your performance. There's a new build up on the preview branch on steam that should improve this a lot. There's also a new "low graphics" setting that reduces the number of particles (such as those thrown by volcanoes, which are indeed expensive). There's also better default options when no graphics card is detected.

You can access the preview branch by following these steps:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/358130/d ... 146343114/
Isaac_mm

Return to Bugs