Lovecraft win

General talk about The Curious Expedition or Maschinen-Mensch

Lovecraft win

Postby dpeg » Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 am

I finally managed to win Lovecraft on Hard. With exactly 4000 points to boot.

Like so often, I forgot to press the Travel Report button after the last expedition (this should be harder to miss). So this is from memory: I kept the two starting soldiers to the end. I had a +3 buffalo and, from Trek 4 onwards, a sailor. I like sailor, because they give you two green die right away. In the end, the sailor was at *** as well, but only for the HP. I bought two custon flares, and they're probably useful, but I was running around with two binoculars, so vision wasn't a problem.

Lovecraft is strange, from a design point of view: early on, you cannot use his perk, Once you can, it is probably overpowered. Before you leave Trek 6, you can do this: sell all mundane (no red dot) items to the villagers and buy Fame items. Then read the Necronomicon until you've used up all your sanity sources. This yields quite some Fame. (Overpowered comes from having always Targeted Teleports and Effortless Movement scrolls at hand, as soon as your Sanity engine is rolling.)

I have the feeling that a good Trek 1 is generally enough to win, assuming you don't get with really bad event. Moderately bad events you should be able to deal with, because the Trek 1 money allows you to buy emergency items (healing, TNT, spears if you have green die).

By the way, with Lovecraft I tend to sell the pistol to a trader as soon as possible. No idea if that's really a good move, but the pistol generally underperforms (2 damage, no special moves) and earns a lot of money. In my winning game, I bought a hunting rifle early on, which was very useful, but a bit taxing on blue die (I only had the two from Lovecraft himself).

Traits: sanity (huge on Lovecraft), river movement, black market, climber and one I forget (the one after Trek 6 is irrelevant, of course).
dpeg

Re: Lovecraft win

Postby charleswatkins » Fri May 27, 2016 4:28 pm

If you want to carry this to the extreme, drop a Camp next to the Pyramid and you can rest there and read the bad book until you get sick of it. Along the way, your human companions will go crazy, so dismiss them when they turn cannibal. You will get a bad expedition score, so you need to accumulate 20+ tomes to make up for the fame loss.
charleswatkins

Re: Lovecraft win

Postby dpeg » Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Good point! On hard difficulty, it'd be a camp next to the ship but the method still works.

I am not quite convinced by Lovecraft, to be honest. On the other hand, the early game is a different enough that it might be alright.
dpeg

Return to General