Favorite Companions

General talk about The Curious Expedition or Maschinen-Mensch

Favorite Companions

Postby charleswatkins » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:05 am

Well, let's talk about which companions you like best. Here are mine:

Tim Timster -- red+blue dice and bonus fame, got to be the best companion of all (ditch Luis ASAP)
Bedouin -- red+green+blue and desert, can't beat that
Lizard Shaman -- purple+red and waterproof
Chasmosaurus -- ultimate pack animal
(Raptor -- for Marcus Garvey)
charleswatkins

Re: Favorite Companions

Postby dpeg » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 am

Scottish Soldier
Buffalo
Artist
Sailor

I like that guzzling soldier (Scottish?) very much. The additional sanity per bottle is very, very strong.

The later animals are cool and strong, but early on, the most important move is to go from donkey to buffalo (because if you're lucky, you can do this on trek 1). I tried the beastmaster's hyena once, but was not impressed.

Artists are awesome! You can use them unskilled as follows: go to a village, rest & paint a native, then trade that picture (which would yield very little gold/fame in London) for *huge* gain in that very village. If you combine the artist with with a translator (more sanity from resting) and a trader, you have something of a little engine already. Perhaps the villagers shouldn't offer to have a picture taken quite so reliably.

Sailors! Three crates and two dice out of the box. I've never really used them for their special ability (and I know I've lost games because I failed to utilise flares/fireworks/etc. properly). Is always a welcome addition to any party without immediate level-up requirements. Buy spears and/or bullets.

Three feature requests:

a) Tim Timster gets angry if you drop Luis (volatile mood). Even if you drop Luis already in London.
b) When exploring the pyramid in hard mode, allow your artist take draw a picture of it.
c) Cannot always draw a native when resting in a village with an artist in the party.
dpeg

Postby Dr. Jones » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:34 am

Three feature requests:

a) Tim Timster gets angry if you drop Luis (volatile mood). Even if you drop Luis already in London.
b) When exploring the pyramid in hard mode, allow your artist take draw a picture of it.
c) Cannot always draw a native when resting in a village with an artist in the party.

I totally agree with this. Tim Timster should be inseparable of Luis. Also, drawing a picture should depend on the mood of the native village against you.

Well, coming back to the main question, my favourite companion of all time is the Scottish soldier. When he is in the party we don't drink water anymore, if you know what I mean...

The British soldier is very useful to kill things. We get along very well.

The parsi trader is useful to "steal" things from the villagers, but is pretty prescindable.

I love the geography perk of the native scout, but I could live without him if my explorer picks that perk.

And for the animals, I love the giant tortoise and the water buffalo because their carrying capacity (the chasmosaurus is very difficult to get) and the raptor because his powerful claws and his cool look.
Dr. Jones

Postby polemicus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:03 pm

I've been playing with the bedouins a lot recently and I like them.

Really like having a skilled cook and artist along too - in the later levels a skilled cook combined with a couple of weapons can keep your expedition going until the map is empty of monsters... Yum yum. I like the high value paintings too - when you stack 5 level 4 paintings and offload them for, what is it, 350 fame? Very efficient use of a single crate. Only downside is when you can't find enough stuff to paint!

So I have two setups I really like:

Bellicose:
Soldier
Tim Timster
Cook
Buffalo/dinosaur

Pacifist:
Artist
Bedouin
Camel/Buffalo/dinosaur
Camel/Buffalo/dinosaur

If I can get anthropologist or start with Huizinga I find the pacifist scores pretty highly - trying to crack 4000 at the moment.
polemicus

Postby charleswatkins » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Would you mind saying a little more about the Pacifist style of play? I've tried several times, but ended up fighting a lot just to get around. I can see that art and archeology could get you fame points, but what do you do when you have raptors chasing you?
charleswatkins

Postby polemicus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

I avoid the raptors as much as I can - usually just guess their movement and dodge the hexes. If I get into a fight I either flee or...

Use the rifle! Not really pacifist, but seeing as I've already completed a pure pacifist run or two and unlocked everyone, I like to buy a rifle for 'self-defense.' It couples with the two eyes you can get with artists nicely for 12 damage, as I've sure you've noticed, on 'masterful shot', and will take out a raptor in 1 round.

If I don't have to use it, that's only a single crate for the protection (sounds like a 2nd amendment argument...). If I do, it gets me out of most sticky situations. Not much I can do with crabs or scorpions, though. Just avoid those....

So the pacifism is more of a wilful mindset in this playing style, rather than a pure refusal to kill anything. I can still stack up a good amount of fame by buying anything the natives have, plenty of paintings and studies, hunting treasure and checking caves for any gems or treasures previous explorers have left behind. That and arriving at the pyramid reliably 1st or 2nd.
polemicus

Return to General