Modding questions

Everything related to modding

Modding questions

Postby Dr. Jones » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Well, thinking on it, I have for now four questions:

1. Is it possible to make that a particular event has some requirements like having a specific perk, or companion, or item, or something like that?

For example, I though that it would be funny to mod the Lt. Konrad's quest in two ways. First, I would like to add the option to convince Konrad to come back to London diplomatically (which is to say, a rolling dices challenge). Secondly, I think that it would be memmorable that a British soldier with low lealty in the expedition could bertray the player and side in the battle with Konrad.

In the case of using explorer's perks on events, I thought on the possibility of giving the option to heal without spending a medkit in the event of the wounded native villager if you have the perk healer.

And about using an item on a event or diary entry, I had the idea of allowing to use a dynamite cartridge to open the gap on a cave where only one party member may pass through.

2. It is possible to create our own predefined regions?

In the main game we have some special regions: water shrines, tiger grasslands, elephant graveyards... could be create new regions?

For example, I think that it would be great to explore the Lost World of Arthur Conan Doyle (a prehistoric world in the top of a plateau with no water around), The Land That Time Forgot of Edgar Rice Burroughs (an elevated island on the middle of the ocean with prehistoric creatures inside), the Skull Island (an archipielago with the shape of a human skull inhabited by King Kong) or the Island at the Top of the World (an island on the arctic populated by vikings. A volcano has warmed the climate, so there is a grasslands zone in the middle and ice and cold in the peripheral areas). This are a only a few examples, but I have a lot more of ideas based on popular books and films that surely would fit in the game.

3. It is possible to change the game mode?

Don't worry, I will exaplain myself. The main game has only a game mode, that it is, the player has to pass through six regions in order to win a race and being immortalized in a statue.

However, a lot of us would want another modes, like for example, an endless mode.

Also, I think that it would be great to being able to create campaings, I mean, having a predefined story that the player continues through each expedition. For example, in a specific campaign the player has to get together the parts of a map to discover Atlantis or in another campaign, the player has to go to a new forgotten continent, that in reallity is a big expedition of six consequent regions without returning to London.

4. It is possible to change animal behavior?

I though that it would be interesting to add flying animals (rocs, pterodactyls...) or even water animals (sharks, krakens, sea serpents...), to change the movement behavior so some animals like the giant crabs, scorpions and crocodiles hide on the water/sand and attack the player when he pass next to them or to make carnivorous animals attack herbivores for food or to attack other carnivorous to get their territory, for example.

Well, those are my questions for now. if I can think of something else, I'll tell you.
Dr. Jones

Re: Modding questions

Postby Dr. Jones » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Oh, two more questions just have came to my mind:

5. Can we signalize the frontiers of specific territories in the world map? For example, creating limits in the map for nations like Egypt, India, China, etc. Also, it would be interesting to know if we can mark in the map the exact position of some special locations, for example Machu Picchu.

6. There will be a game console o some kind of cheat system so the modders could test if the game works properly? For example, if I design a new perk, it would be useful to test it quickly by activating the perk by cheats, because obtaining the perk by playing the game as usual could be very slow.
Dr. Jones

Postby Ole » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 pm

1. Is it possible to make that a particular event has some requirements like having a specific perk, or companion, or item, or something like that?

Yes, this is absolutely possible and we are using those requirements a lot in the games events as well.

2. It is possible to create our own predefined regions?

Yes, that is possible as well. One of the example mods will do just that.

3. It is possible to change the game mode?

Currently this is possible to some extend, but not in the full extend you are imagining.

4. It is possible to change animal behavior?

This is also possible with limitations.
You can limit where they can move, but you can't change wether they go after the player or something else.

5. Can we signalize the frontiers of specific territories in the world map?

You can change the look of the world map, but currently the locations that you can travel to have fixed spots.

6.There will be a game console o some kind of cheat system so the modders could test if the game works properly?

Yes, this already existed as part of our debug tools and will be available for modders to use.

Thank you for your questions.
Ole
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Postby Dr. Jones » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for your answers! I suppose we will have to get creative to adapt to the systems's limitations... sounds fun! :lol:
Dr. Jones

Dialog

Postby charleswatkins » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm

What will we be able to do in creating storylines?

I'd like a way of posting signs and triggering events. For the events, I'd like some if-then capabilities and the ability to script the effects.
charleswatkins

Postby Ole » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am

You can do all of that.

We are working on adding more documentation to make it easier to build the things that you want.
Ole
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

How's it coming?

Postby charleswatkins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 am

Just wanted to check on how you're doing on this. Cheers!
charleswatkins

Postby Johannes.K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 am

charleswatkins wrote:Just wanted to check on how you're doing on this. Cheers!

It's coming along nicely. We're still fixing some issues and make sure that the initial launch of modding support goes as smooth as possible. You can already test the modding. Here are some instructions (copied from our new discord server, which you are very welcome to join btw)

Modding:
We're very close to release full modding support for our game. You can unlock the steam modbeta by going into the game properties and switching to the modding beta using the pw "moddingawaits". If you have any further questions or want to discuss modding ideas please use the #modding channel.

Instructions on modding can be found in our wiki here: http://curious-expedition.wikia.com/wik ... ng_Started

The game script content as currently used by the game can be found here:
https://github.com/Maschinen-Mensch/cur ... aster/conf
Johannes.K
Curious Dev
Curious Dev

Return to Modding